Friday, August 31, 2007

favourite scripture

mine is romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

a couple of weeks ago at bible study we each said our favourite scripture. when i said mine someone remarked that you don't say that to someone at a funeral. although i have thought this in my mind when at a funeral it isn't something i would say to the grieving person, although if you read the proceeding post you might find the grieving person saying it to you.

in this month's in touch magazine there's an article from augustine that says "imagine that God told you to write down every blessing you wanted Him to provide. when you completed the list, imagine further that God came to you and said i will give you everything you requested, on one condition, you'll never again hear My voice or sense My presence.

i read this and thought no way, there is nothing i want for myself that i would choose over a relationship with God. but then i thought of my unsaved family and as i cried and prayed i thought how i would give up everything for them, for their salvation, even to the point of death. as i thought of one death, mine, for the salvation of many, my family, i thought of Jesus. His sacrifice, His death, for you, for me, for all, one death for the salvation of many.

people have prayed for me, for healing, but i have never prayed this for myself. i have no idea if God plans to heal me or not. but if His purpose is to use me to bring my family to Himself then i consider that He is working for my good because i love Him, because i consider good that my family would be saved. in all things i pray His will be done.

what is your favourite scripture and what does it mean to you?

No comments: